Thursday, January 3, 2019

Getting Organized and Blog Hop 2019

I was working on a customer quilt today and  looking through my fabric for something to use for another border when I realized I had no idea what was on the shelves.  I have been either making quilts from Island Batik or customer provided material for so long that I had forgotten what I had in stock.  Of course, the fact that everything was just stuffed wherever it fit didn't help.  I had just read an article on line about using specially made boards for organizing fabric so decided to cut some out of a cardboard box and see how it worked.  I kept at it for most of the day and now have all my larger pieces of fabric nicely stored on the shelves.  There is still quite a bit of smaller pieces plus what has been piled in one corner of the room waiting to be used.





 My nicely organized fabric.  Each roll of at least a meter was put onto boards cut to 8 X 10, fabric pieces less than that amount were put on cardboard half that size.
 This is one of the piles that still need doing.  Some pieces may be small enough to just cut into charm squares.  Others will be given away.
The ends of the fabric were pinned to keep them intact but I am planning on making loops from narrow elastic that can be just slid over roll.  I am hoping this is the start of a new permanently organized stash.
I did something different with my nativity sets this year.  This stand held all but two of the scenes.  I like the idea of them all being in one place so think I will do this again next year.
My day for the Island Batik blog hop is coming up soon.  I am going to have a lot of fabric that is left over after making the quilt.  None is less that 2.5" square and most are 5 inches.  To be eligible for the draw, you will need to be a follower of this blog.
Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Now you can see what you have and pull it out without too much trouble. I have mine folded on shelves in color families...but I also have a 10-12 foot row on the floor of a guest room of fabric on bolts. I am a SABLE!! I wish it was as easy to use up as it is to accumulate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, saw the same organization idea and now that I see the actual results, I think I might give this a try. It will be nice to see my inventory and maybe use it! Thanks for the show and tell!

    ReplyDelete