Friday, August 12, 2011

Patterns

It was nice of Heidi to take over for me yesterday as I was feeling a bit under the weather-lack of sleep.  I was prepared for a busy day but, as it turned out, it wasn't.  My son and daughter-in-law weren't able to make it as they had a couple of appointements to look at houses.  So, I helped my husband where needed with his building project and together we will work our way through the baking while enjoying a clean house-well the latter only lasted a couple of hours.
I didn't feel much like working on any of my projects yesterday so started a new one.  This quilt pattern is one of the ones that I call slash and sew.  To make this block, the fabric is stacked, right side up,  cut it at various angles, move the fabric around a bit, sew pieces together and end up with folk art stars.  If you would like to check out the pattern, I got it from the American Patchwork and Quilting magazine, April 2009 issue. 
This isn't a pattern for the perfectionist as you have to be rather flexible with your seams but it does go quick, uses up fat quarter sized fabric and results in usable blocks. I'll post a photo when I get the top put together.
My 'take to group' project is also great for using up fabric bits.  With this pattern, you sew the strips from a jelly roll end to end.  I subsituted all my 2 1/2" strips and scraps of the same width.   When I have suffieienc length-something like 1600", I will put the two ends together, fabric right sides facing, and sew all along the edge, cut the fold, bring ends together repeat.  I should end up with a scrappy strip quilt.  This was from a link that was sent around and, as I did my own version, I didn't keep it.
If you are interested in the original, you might be able to get it by putting 'jelly roll patterns' in your search engine.
I really am going to try and discipline myself to get another quilt into the frame and get it finished or sew the binding on one of the many projects waiting for that step.  Perhaps, I should have a 'get it finished day' or week.  Maybe these should be my group projects.  Decisions.  Decisions. 
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment