Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Day After

I am sure most of you are still celebrating with your families today or are, perhaps, on the trek back home. But, just in case you are like me, and enjoy catching up on all the news, I thought I would share a few thoughts.

Husband and I went to his sister's farm for a family gathering on the big day.  We were scheduled to go to her son's new home but the death of an elderly relative changed that plan. We also missed another couple and their son because of work commitments.  However, we did get to see our new grand nephew born one month and one day before Christmas. 
It was a fairly low key day.  We had the usual turkey dinner, of course, gifts for the children and an exchange for the adults.  This year, all the women bought a small gift suitable for a female and the men did one for their gender.  The packages were placed in a group and starting with the oldest male and female (husband and I) choosing first, then the next in age etc. until  everyone got a package.  Everyone opened at the same time so there was a lot of laughter and sharing. 
I like doing this much more than the usual buy 'something for everyone'.  We are at the point of not needing much and, if we do, it is going to be expensive-new tractor, tires for the vehicle, and so on.
Another tradition was started which is going to be a lot of fun.  Each family received a book from the Chicken Soup series which we are to read, put a signed comment on the fly leaf and pass on.  It is going to be interesting to see what each person shares.
I love books with notes in the margin although some might shudder at the practice.  My mother was a great one for underlined passages often with a series of exclamation marks and written thoughts on any blank space.  I have some of her books and I treasure them.  It is like being able to hear her voice.  I have the same habit.  This something that all those who confine their reading to mechanical devices will not be able to do and I think that is a shame.
I received an e reader for Christmas but it will only be used for on line magazines and books that I would read and toss.
Hope this day after Christmas finds you at peace and enjoying the your left over turkey.  For those who are still without hydro after the big ice storm of 2013, my hope is that you will soon have everything restored and that these past few days will have bonded you closer to your family and reminded you of what is truly important in life.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment