Friday, October 2, 2009

Too Late Smart

I had one of those nights when you wake up far to early and then starting thinking of all the smart things you could have said in a situation. In my case, the situation was something about which I had just dreamt but that didn't stop the "I should have said" thoughts.
I hate it when I don't get enough sleep although I don't suppose anyone like it. I am so tired the next day that I can't trust my mind to make any logical decisions and I feel to ill to be able to do anything. Tired as I may be, it is rare that I am able to sleep in the day time so I just put in time until I can go to bed and get, hopefully a decent nights sleep.
I honestly don't know how some people can manage on six or less hours sleep at night. I need at least eight to feel human. Lack of sleep is not good for anyone's health or safety. Many traffic collisions are caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel or not being able to react quickly enough in an emergency. There have been a lot of devices created to combat them, most of the silly, but one company seems to have come up with a workable invention. It looks like a small black box and it measures your eye blinks. It can tell when a person is about to doze off and it emits a buzzing sound. When you hear this warning, you are supposed to pull over and get some rest. This might be a problem if you are on a freeway, driving in a snowstorm or on a narrow country road. Even under optimum conditions, I would be willing to bet, knowing the human mentality, that some drivers would just turn the warning of or simply ignore it. No matter how smart we make vehicles, they are still going to be driven by human humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment