Thursday, February 17, 2022

Signs of Spring

Hubby and I did our grocery shopping yesterday, which, as usual, tires me right out.  I fell asleep on the couch for about an hour after I put everything away.   We were supposed to go out in the evening but the mild weather and rain softened the snow on our driveway which made it difficult to navigate.  We have a friend coming over today to widen it a bit and lower the snow.  Everything is slippery now because it was colder through the night.  However, despite all that, you can feel spring in the air.  the crows are back from wherever they winter and the air feels different.    Another sign is the snow cuts along the roads where the department of highways pushes it back to give the run off somewhere to go.

You may remember me mentioning a lady I helped check out her groceries as she was having trouble using her debit card.  I felt she might have been suffering from dementia or Alzheimer's disease. Yesterday, she was in the same line up as I was and, obviously having problems again. When I realized why the line wasn't moving, I went over to see if I could help.  She was in worse state than before and couldn't remember her pin number at all.  Fortunately, her husband came along and got things sorted.  

I don't know the situation, of course, but I don't understand why she is left alone to deal with the check out.  Someone could, at the very least, be waiting on one of the benches until she reaches the till and then assist her there. The teller was doing her best to stay patient but it was hard on her as well.

I think the ladies plight bothered me more yesterday when I compared it to the wonderful care that my friend (who just passed away)  received.  My friend was surrounded by love, respect and help.  She was able to keep as much of her independence as possible while ensuring she was safe.  My dear mother-in-law is getting the same level of care from her daughters and a granddaughter.  Not everyone has family, but no-one should be left without love and care when they need it.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment