Friday, October 11, 2019

Really Quick and Easy Quilt Instructions

Farm Quilter:  Thanks for the comment.  I will take my camera and get a picture of those trees.  Our colours are starting to fade a bit now but it still a lovely walk/drive along our road.
I decided to make a couple of last minute cuddle quilts today.  I need to get them done quickly so I can post them a week from this coming Tues.  So, I came up with a truly fast and easy quilt.  It isn't fancy but if you are just looking for something a child can drag around and snuggle into while watching fireworks, this is it.
Decide your size.  I like 45X 60" give or take.  Look through your stash for some fabric that has a nice over all pattern.  I found one that has cows, barns and other farm animals all over it.  The figures are a nice size so it will work well.  I cut the fabric 50" X 65". I cut mine 2.50 inches smaller than that and added a border.  I wanted to back it with fleece but didn't have anything that worked with the top so I got some deep brown flannel and used it.  It was cut 3" all around larger than  the top.  I loaded the backing onto my machine horizontally, covered with batting and then the top.  I quilted using a loose meandering stitch.  When I trim, I will leave the backing an inch wider than
the top all around and use it to self bind the quilt.  The time from start to finish the quilt is only a few hours-probably not more than four.
The photo shows the idea.  Not done yet as hubby and I decided to go out for a bit but it and the second one will be done in plenty of time.  If you wanted a top with a bit more work, you could cut the fabric into 10 inch squares, sew them together with sashing between each block and row and a border around the outside.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all who live in this county,
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment