Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Reuse, Recycle, Reduce

We are gradually getting back to what passes for normal at our house.  The renovations to the sun and quilt rooms are all but finished.  We have to buy a couple of acoustic tiles to replace those that got wet during the winter leak and something to cover the floor in the sun room.  On Thursday, we will be going to Huntsville as I have to get a test on my thyroid (only got one side remaining) so will go to our favourite store while there.  We buy the majority of our building and other items at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore as the prices are good, the articles are being recycled and the money raised helps build houses for those in need.
I am, as I am sure you are as well, a firm believer in the 3R's.  We try to buy used whenever we can, donate unneeded items to the same organizations and trade rather than purchase when possible.
I have just reduced my dressmaking patterns from 9 boxes to 2.  Some of the leftovers are being donated to an organization holding a garage sale, others given to a friend and the remaining will be used to start our outdoor fireplace.  I am also getting donating a lot of dressmaking fabric.
I have decided that I am not going to be making all our clothing anymore.  We don't need a lot of wearable's and, when we do, I purchase most of it from charity shops.

The weather report predicts rain for today but so far it is just hot.  I have put off going for a walk just in case but I think I am going to hitch up the dog and go for a short one at least.

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne, it is pretty muggy and uncomfortable on our side of the park too. I am hearing thunder now so hopefully the rain isn't far behind.
    I am quite liking the couch.....so far. The cushions are firm but soft. I LOVE the denim! I have very short legs, which is my issue with furniture. Even this couch is too tall for me - but - different size legs can be found anywhere. The legs that come with are about 8 inches long, so I think I'm going to go with a 4 inch leg. The slipcover doesn't touch the floor so that shouldn't be an issue.
    I know quite a few people who have this couch and LOVE it. My daughter has three wild and rambuncious children and bought this couch in WHITE. It has everything under the sun spilled on it, but she just whips off the covers and throws them in the washer. It is more than five years old and still looks great. My younger daughter has two active wee boys and bought this denim one last year. She told me she thought she would faint when they got chocolate on it, but that too washed out well!
    The slipcovers are well made. They are all double stitched just like a pair of jeans.
    The couch is quite light weight so it's easy to move around too....I like that. My old one weighed a ton!

    ReplyDelete