Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weather Woes

I am sure you have all been following the news reports about the devestation in Haiti.  It is hard to comprehend what it would be like to be in that situation.  I imagine you can't do anything more  than to try and survive. I was thinking about the impact weather has on our lives Monday as I was getting ready to go to quilt group. Our weather didn't make for optimum driving conditions.  We have been experiencing a January thaw and then, Sunday,  it rained.  Our driveway was turned into a slippery mush and we have a steep downgrade when leaving combined with a smaller upgrade at road edge.  I let the car ease down in first gear and then had to speed up to get onto the road.  It took a couple of tries but I made it out and then back home again a few hours later.  However, I didn't go out in the evening as the temperature had fallen and I figured that the road would be icy.
We humans like to think we are in control of our lives but the weather reminds us again and again that we aren't. Whether it is a major event like a hurricane or tornado or something as minor as a snowfall, we can only adjust.  We can shake our fists and rage but the snow still falls, the earth still trembles and lives are still shattered. When nature flexes its muscles, we don't have any more control than  a primitive man huddling in a cave when thurnder echoed across the skies.
And, personally, although I gireve for those who lose so much, I think it is good that we humans are reminded that we aren't as powerful as we often think we are.
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment