Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Cheap Quilting Notions

I was all ready to work on yesterday's post when the hydro went out.  It was a surprise because the weather was good.  It was also rather funny because when I was Skyping with my sisters we were talking about being prepared for outages and I showed them the miners lamp I had bought at a dollar store.
After I turned  off the switch that controls power to the computer, (just in case the hydro flickered on and off) I called Hydro One and received a message that everything was supposed to be up and running by midnight.
So, out came the candles, battery operated lights and radio.  Hubby read by the light of the miners lamp and I played games on my tablet.  We went to bed close to the usual time and were just drifting off when the lights came back on.  Of course, I hadn't remembered to turn off the lights or TV so I had to get up to do that.
Everything is still fine today.  I am making great progress on my course and took a break at lunch time to take Heidi for a walk.
I wanted to share with you some ideas that were discussed on our on line group Hearts2Hands .hearts2hands@yahoogroups.ca.  We have some members that are great at finding interesting topics on line especially if they involve ideas for quilting gadgets.
Special rulers for ruler work are expensive.  Here are a couple of alternate items to use until you can invest in the real thing.  A small painters canvas will allow you to make straight lines or right angle turns.  It is easy to hold and light weight.  They are available at a dollar store.  Sturdy picture frames with straight edges will help you to quilt a square inside another square.  Just remove the glass, backing and anything else so you are left with just the frame.  Discarded CD's glued one on top of another until you get 1/4-1/2" thickness can be used for circles.
I haven't tried any of these yet but am going to put a practice sandwich on my frame this weekend and give them a go.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment