Thursday, February 1, 2018

Business vs. Readability

One of the subjects in my on line course is how to market your product.  I have always had a bit of a knack for doing this but there is always something more to learn.  Blogging is often used as a tool to increase sales or to promote.
Selling either my quilts or patterns has not been the focus of my posts.  I think of it more as a chat between myself and you, the readers.  I don't expect that to change in the future although I will be letting you know where you can buy a quilt that I have just made or a pattern that I designed.
As much as I like the idea of being a successful business person, I would never sacrifice the opportunity to share with you my love of our home, the antics of our little dog and chickens.  I really enjoy my life here in the back woods and consider myself to be truly blessed.  I hope that my writing brings  a bit of the tranquility I have into your life. 
Having said all that, you may see some ads appearing at the bottom of my blog.  If the product or service is of interest to you, check it out.  If not, feel free to ignore it.  Either way, we stay friends.
Any thoughts? Can a person promote a business and still be readable?
Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. I do think you can, but it is a fine line. Some blogs are too busy with ads, and self promotion, others have none. I like whatevere it is not to interfere with the story, or lesson or tutorial or rant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kathleen! I hate it when ads pop up from below or down from the top that will not go away and have no "X" so I can make them go away. When a blog becomes only a way to sell something, that's when I stop following that blog. I can easily ignore ads on the sides, but don't like it when the meat of the blog is the width of a newspaper column. I like it when there are tabs at the top of the blog where I can go to look at what you have for sale, if I want...I don't like it when I read about a cool pattern you have and can't find it when I come back to your blog months later! Bonnie Hunter manages to do a good balance between selling herself, patterns and tools and keeping her blog about quilting fun. I know she has lots of ads on the side of her blog, but I honestly could not tell you what a single one was about! I think you can do it, just be ready for your readers to let you know when they think the line has been crossed and you blog feels line an infomercial!

    ReplyDelete