Tuesday, September 15, 2020

The Wisdom of Reusing

 I got a really great buy at a Salvation Army thrift shop today.  I have been looking for a good leather handbag in a brown shade and hadn't been able to find exactly what I wanted.  The shop in Huntsville reopened recently after moving to a new location and we dropped in today after grocery shopping.  I found a lovely bag made by Roots which, when new was around $300.00.  I paid $3.00.  It has both a shoulder strap and handles and a outside zipped pocket.  Just perfect.

Now I will get rid of all the other bags I have except my summer one which is also perfect-it is Suttles and Seawinds, yellow, quilted and was given to me by a friend.  This is a Canadian company from Nova Scotia and I love their clothing.

I rarely buy anything new preferring to go to thrift and other second hand shops.  I once got a beautiful suede skirt and long vest made by Dior for $30.00  I have also found sandals that are worth over a $100.00 for next to nothing.  Why would anyone want to pay full price for something that is mass produced and shoddily made when for less money you can buy classic?  You also have the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting an organization that helps others.

Of course, I was raised on second hand.  Our clothing was either given to us, made over or bought at rummage sales (does anyone remember those?).  Most of our furniture is also preowned and again we have found vintage and antique dressers, free good quality flooring and many other items that we treasure.

There is so much waste in our country that I think it is important that we reuse as much as possible.  Of the 3R's, I think reusing and restoring are the most important.

Have you found anything recently that was a great buy?

Blessings,


No comments:

Post a Comment