Thursday, September 3, 2020

Harvest Time

 Judy, I am glad we aren't the only ones to get our days confused.  I find that it isn't only the retired folk that have problems.  Sometimes a day just  feels like it should be something else.

We had a nasty rain storm just after supper so I had to turn off the computer.  It seems to have passed now so I can get things finished up.

I made half a dozen jars of zucchini relish today.  The recipe called for 12 cups of zucchini and I got it all from the green one shown here.

The yellow may look like an under ripe zuke but it is, in fact a different veggie.  It is a cross between a zucchini and a blue pumpkin.  I am going to cup it up and steam it before freezing and am anxious to see what it is going to taste like.  I am not sure what I am going to do with it.  Probably just keep it as a vegetable and serve with meals.

Yesterday, I really got into  baking.  After processing all the ingredients for the relish, I  made chick pea muffins and a double batch of hummus.  The relish had to sit overnight and then it was cooked and jarred today.  It isn't cool enough to do much preserving yet so will just freeze the tomatoes for the chili.  I think I will do more relish and it makes a nice gift but am going to substitute green tomatoes for some of the zucchini. Pickled beets, peach marmalade and mixed berry jam will be added to the shelves eventually.

Tomorrow I am back to quilting.

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy. I canned two batches of peaches, one of my husband's favourites. I plan to do tomatoes soon. Don't you feel good when you see the jars lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Judy. Makes me feel really domesticated.

    ReplyDelete