Thursday, September 17, 2020

Apple Butter

 I finished the test pattern I was working on and now will add a bit more to turn it in to a small table runner.  My next project is to finish the quilt on my frame.  Tomorrow, I will be doing more apple butter and fruit jam.  I thought you might like to try making the apple butter so here is the recipe.

Blessings,


Slow Cooker Apple Butter

Yield 12 cups.

 

You will need a very large slow cook or cut apples into small pieces so they take less room

 

Ingredients:  12 pounds of apples-baking ones are best but any kind of firm apple will do.

Peeled, cored and sliced (I didn’t peel mine).

 

½ apple cider vinegar

3 cups white sugar  (I only used 2.  It depends on your preference and the sweetness of the apples.)

1 cup brown sugar.

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1 cup raisins (optional)

 

Place apples and vinegar into slow cooker, cover with lid.  Set on High and cook for 8 hours, turn to Low and continue cooking 10 hours more

 

After 18 hours, add all the other ingredients and cook 4 more hours on low.

Mixture should be thick and a dark brown.

 

(It is hard to get the timing of making this correct as it could finish while you are in bed.  I turned the cooker down to lowest setting before the last 4 hours and then turned it back to low when I got up.  It seemed to work well.)

 

Place mixture in hot, sterilized jars.  Run knife around inside to ensure there aren’t any bubbles.  Cover with lid and screw top. 

Place in canner and boil for 10 minutes.  Remove and let sit undisturbed for 24 hours before storing.

 

Original recipe is from allrecipes.com and then I added my own touches.


No comments:

Post a Comment