Saturday, March 31, 2018

A Star is Made

Here it is a Saturday and I am writing my blog.  I have a couple of things to share and one of them is this months challenge from Island Batik.  Our March challenge was to try a new technique and I cheated a little as I had tried to make the Lone Star pattern before but failed miserably.
As that was many years ago before rulers and rotary cutters (not to mention machines with a 1/4 inch foot) I figured I might have a better chance this time around.  I not only had all those tools now but a lot more experience and, of course, wonderful fabrics with which to work.

In order to give myself an even better chance at success, I chose a pattern that consisted of a single star with much larger pieces than my first attempt.  I am quite pleased with the result and may even go back to that other patterns and give it a try.


As you can see, I haven't got it quilted as yet.  I want to use another machine foot that I recently acquired and do stitch in the ditch on the star.  Haven't decided what I will do in the black area-maybe shadow quilting.
My other little bit of news is also related to Island Batik.  As an ambassador I have got to know many fine quilters and pattern designer's.  I am also pleased to be able to share with you that a member of my on line group (hearts2hands) recently had a pattern accepted for the IB catalogue.  You can see the pattern designed by PineRose and the catalogue itself by clicking on the link below.  Way to go, Eileen.  We are so proud of you.  By the way, take time to look through the catalogue and drool over the fabric and get some of the patterns.  The IB site does also have free ones as well as those in the book.



http://www.islandbatik.com/s18-catalog/

Blessings,

3 comments:

  1. Your star turned out lovely. I'm glad you revisited this. I can't really imagine how quilters managed without rotary cutters and quarter inch feet! I certainly take them both for granted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lone star is a knockout. You did a great job and it is always fun to learn something and to want to go back to it!

    ReplyDelete