Thursday, January 18, 2018

A Huge Mistake.

I have been sewing up a storm today.  My batik is almost quilted and I have started sewing the blocks together for a gift quilt.  I should have the first one finished tomorrow and then I can get it bound.  the top should also be finished this weekend.  then it will be on the frame.  I am going to try not to start any more quilts other than the charity ones as I have a few other tops to finish.
Getting those done is part of my yearly pledge to finish tops before starting another project.  I never quite make it but I believe it is important to keep trying.
I have lots of bits and pieces of Island Batik left over and I think I might cut them into workable sizes and then give the leftovers away.  They will be great for anyone who appliques or does scrap quilts.
I am pleased to see there are three Canadian Ambassadors this year.  There is one in Newfoundland, another in Nova Scotia and, of course, me.  We also have one from England this year as well as a returnee from Denmark so it is getting to be quite international group.
I have to tell you about the huge mistake I made with the batik quilt.  I had been trying to take my time and do everything correctly.  Seams were pressed as they were sewn, blocks squared and trimmed to size and I used the proper measuring technique when adding the border.  The top looked quite professional when it was finished.
I continued to take care when loading the quilt ensuring the backing was nice and straight before adding the batting and top.  And that is when I noticed the problem.  I had not remeasured the top before cutting the backing and it was 5 inches to narrow.  I wasn't going to take the backing off again so I hand stitched a contrasting  strip to one side.  That worked but what a silly thing to forget.
It seems that I am fated to not complete a quilt without doing something careless. 
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment