Thursday, August 12, 2021

Trial and Error

 When you make a quilt top, do you plan out each step or make it up as you go along?  I tend to do the latter.  I have a basic idea of borders plain and pieced as well as colours but everything can change as I go along.  I guess it is different if a person uses a pattern but as I don't then it can be trial and error.

For example, I am making a crib quilt.  The top has a centre panel.  I wanted it to be bright because the panel itself isn't.  I did a yellow border and then a red one but I didn't want just plain strips so decided to add alternating yellow and lime green squares.  The second row would make it a checkerboard.  However, when I laid out the second row, it seemed to overpower everything else.  I am now going to leave it at the one row, add a red strip, a wider black to match the panel background and perhaps another narrow red.  I will use the unused block strips as binding.  Or , at least, that is the plan.  It could change again.

I will post a photo when it gets done.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment