Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Storms A-Coming

Di and Cat Lady, glad you liked information regarding the Big Stitch.  I have also heard it referred to as the Vintage stitch although I am not sure why.  Perhaps because it gives that look.  However, I would think that hand quilters in general and especially those from years ago would do those tiny little stitches.
Farm Quilter, I am pretty sure the time is off on my machine and I can't seem to get it set correctly.  I didn't have trouble once before when I put it out after breaking and jamming a needle.  Perhaps I am just getting fumble fingers.  I had to cancel my appointment tomorrow as the weather is turning bad.  Disappointing but better to stay off the road then add another car to the mess.
I have been making good progress on my red and white quilt but am going to change my method of making the flying geese.  I am using the 'No Waste' instructions but find that they are not as precise as I would like.  I am going to switch either to Jodi Barrow's  ruler or paper pieced (using the Thangles preprinted sheets).


This is the wall hanging that I hand quilted for a friend.  It needs a good pressing but the pattern basically was stitching around the small centre blocks and diagonal strips through the bigger sections. It actually looks better than in the photo which is the opposite of how pictures usually reproduce.
Tomorrow I will have instructions for the free pattern.
Blessings,

3 comments:

  1. When my Great-Grandmother did what we call "big Stitch" she called "utility quilting". She would use it on quilts that she knew were going to get a lot of use and abuse, saving her small stitches for quilts that went on the bed, and the best small hand quilt stitches for the company or fancier quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to stay home and stay safe then to venture out when the roads are a mess!! I hope you can easily re-schedule your appointment. I can time my longarm but not my sewing machine. However, I'm getting cataracts so I make my husband do the timing on my longarm once a year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup...quite a few vintage quilts are big stitched if they are used everyday..utility quilts

    ReplyDelete