Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Free Pattern for Lap Mat

Cat Lady, thank you for sharing your grandmother's story and , yes, utility stitch seems a more accurate description of the longer hand quilting stitch.  I envy quilters who have a long family history of women who share the same skill.  To my knowledge, I am the first quilter in my family.  I would love to have something made by a grandmother or great aunt but I can comfort myself that my descendants will have lots of my quilts.
I did a quick shopping trip today as a winter storm was predicted for this area that would last for a couple of days.  I took the opportunity to go to one of the dollar stores and pick up an expanding file.  I like to have things like instruction sheets,  etc. close to hand.  Having to go to the computer to check a file or search through a binder doesn't work.  I just do another google search.  With the expanding file, I can put everything in the see through pockets and mark the tab labels with what is there.  I think this idea will work well.

As promised, here is a free pattern.  This is for a lap mat that can be used by children to eat their treats without getting crumbs on the furniture.
You can use a ready made placemat or make one for specifically for this purpose.  My mat is 16 x 12.
Measure 2 inches from the tip of one corner along one side.  Place a pin at the 2" mark.  Crease or pinch corner so the two sides come together and place the pin through both layers.  If desired, you can mark a straight line to show where the stitching will go.
 Note pin placement.  This is where you will mark you stitch line.
Sew along the line.  (Note:  the stitch line is the one closest to the point).  Repeat for all corners.  Fold sides toward centre and press.

The mat size can be adjust for a bigger to smaller child.  Makes a great gift.

Blessings,

1 comment: