Thursday, November 7, 2019

Dignity Quilts

It doesn't look as though we are going to get an Indian Summer this year.  (is that phrase derogatory?  Can you suggest another name-summer's last gift?)  We got another 2 to 4 inches of snow last night so our trees are powdered once more.  I put Heidi out through the night and she was almost swimming through the snow.  We have made her a path again today.
Farm Quilter described the snow fall as getting our aquifer replenished.  Love that idea.  I always thing of the moisture that is added to the maple trees in the bush when we get a big snow before the ground freezes.
I have a top about1/3 finished.  It is moving right along but I only get two or three rows done at a time before I have to take a break because it takes a fair bit of concentration.
I heard something new on one of my on line groups a couple of days ago.  I am always keeping my ears open for places where I can donate quilts and this one caught my attention.  They are called Dignity Quilts and are donated to funeral homes, senior's and hospice centres.  The purpose is to drape the quilt over a coffin or stretcher to cover the deceased as they are being removed from the place where they died.  I have  seen a stretcher carrying a body being removed from a home with neighbours standing around staring as though it were a circus.  The addition of a quilt adds dignity to the body.  In some hospitals, available staff will line halls as a body is being removed to show their respect.  Again, a quilt give extra dignity.  If you are at all interested, there is more interest on line.  Quilts designed for this purpose are 4 x 8 feet.  Something to think about.
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I really like the idea of a dignity quilt. I know when my mom died, they took her body from the house on a gurney and I don't remember what was over her. For my dad, I will have them place his QoV over whatever they cover him with for the walk to their vehicle. Thank you for this great idea! Do they re-use the quilts? I don't see why they couldn't, unless they give the quilt to the families afterwards.

    ReplyDelete