Thursday, September 2, 2010

Is It Fall Yet?

I froze some tomatoes this morning.  It is still a bit warm for doing anything that involves a stove but they were starting to get too ripe.  I just blanched, peeled, removed any bad spots and stuck them in freezer bags.  When I was finished, I had four bags.  I said to my husband that all that work saved us about $6.00 as the tomatoes were given to us.  Hardly seems wothwhile but, six dollars will buy me a fat quarter with some money left over plus if we have an extended period of bad weather, there is food in the freezer.
Tomorrow, I will do the relish.  It is non cook so I just may do it today.  Also have to make bread.  I wouldn't bother as we are going away but need to get a loaf for my fair entry.  If you are doing one loaf, you may as well do four.
I enjoy doing my canning even though it is a lot of work.  I generally make various kinds of non-sugar jam.  I figure they can count as a fruit in our daily diet.  I don't need to do pickled beets as I still have lots from last year.  I usually do more than we need but I give a lot away to those who don't have gardens or as gifts. Of course, all this has to wait until the weather cools so this time of year, I eagerly watch for the changing leaves and lower temperatures.
I am feeling a bit blah today so I think I will take the dog for a walk and get some fresh air.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment