Thursday, June 9, 2022

Quilting with Patience.

I am just finishing the quilt that is on my frame.  If I were to be asked what the most important skill to learn when quilting, my answer would be 'patience'.  It is a common human trait to want to rush everything.  We learn short cut tricks to making multiple half square triangles, if a ruler offers a quicker way to make a block, we buy it. I could understand this rush if we were doing something we hated but we love quilting.  If not, we would be doing something else like that pile of dishes that is growing in the sink.

I was reminded of this when I had to stop and refill a bobbin for the long arm.  I had changed the bobbin thread and couldn't remember how to reinstall it so I looked it up in the manual.  I filled a couple of bobbins, put one in the holder and started to sew.  I didn't get more than a couple of stitches when the machine jammed.  I checked the bobbin and it was loose.  Reinstalled and it was still loose and in fact it would turn on the shaft. Double checked with the manual to ensure the release thingy was in the correct direction.  Then I checked to make sure the bobbin was in the holder correctly, which it was.  I have a hard time seeing the bobbin area on my machine as I am tall so I moved it off the quilt and sat on a chair so I could see what I was doing.  I put the bobbin and case back on the shaft but the result was the same. Then I took another look at the holder.  It was from my domestic machine.  Locate the correct one, install and start sewing.

I am glad I remained calm through out the process.  There was one time in my life where I would have thrown something (probably the bobbin case) and then spent the rest of the day trying to find where it went.  I am sure my husband appreciates the new me as well.

Blessings, 


No comments:

Post a Comment