Saturday, October 2, 2021

Inheritances

Another rainy day although the sun is shining at the moment.  I was expecting to finish up the top for the charity quilt that I have been working on but I am going to have to put it aside for a bit.  I got a notice that some of the items I have in a local store have sold so, now I need to make at least one more baby quilt and some face masks.  I am certainly not complaining.  It is wonderful to know that someone likes something I have made well enough to add it to their home.  Knowing that a child will be cuddling up with my creation for a long time is wonderful.  It may even be handed down to other children or the next generation.

I wish I owned a quilt that had been made by my mother or other relative but none of them (to my knowledge) quilted.  My relatives will not have the same complaint!

Have you inherited your love of quilting from a family member?  It is interesting how some skills do get passed down.  Photography is an inherited trait in my family that goes back at least as far as my father.  It is a passion of mine and I have a nephew who is an award winning professional. Judging from photos posted on social media, there are others who also have the bug.

In hubby's family, there are many artists and singers.  A friend's family are known for their musical ability and another for cooking.  It is nice to know that along with inheriting certain personality traits, appearances and builds that we might also become a famous singer like great aunt Clara.

blessings,

3 comments:

  1. Both my grandmothers were quilters. I have a quilt from each of them. I also have a baby quilt that my paternal grandmother made for my first son. She also made mats from old woolens. (I have one.) By the time I wanted to learn, she was no longer doing them. My maternal grandmother used to tat, crochet, embroider and knit. She was never just sitting. I have a small tablecloth that I embroidered and she did the crocheting around the edge. My mother sewed for us but she never got into quilting. I inherited some of my father's interest in photography. I wish I could hear what he would have to say about phones that take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My maternal grandmother was an amazing, prize winning quilter. My maternal cousin Brenda and my daughter Trish are wonderful quilters. I piddle away at it but I'll never be of their caliber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 mos after we were married in 1981, my husband's grandmother died. She did not have any other children than his father, no one was interested in any of her 'things,' so he and I went through the house and got 'treasures.'
    Way back in the corner of her basement she had a trunk. This truck held things from HER mother, mostly quilts. I wish I hadn't given them to his brothers, but I did and they are gone. I kept all her WIPs, and a few finished quilts. I wish there was a way to post photos in a message because we have a beautiful appliqued quilt above our headboard, and I finished a Maple Leaf WIP, and a couple of others, all kept for my kids- from their great great grandmother!
    We have a photo of her at her quilting loom, and the Leaf quilt had the her plans to finished written on a piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete