Friday, November 25, 2016

Happy Birthday Son

Forty eight years ago today, my son was born. He was 6 weeks premature and only weighed a bit over 3 lbs and then went down to less than 3 right after his birth.  He was so small the hospital staff didn't think he would live.  He was sent to Toronto's Hospital of Sick Children where he spent the next 6 weeks of his life.  Because we didn't have a car, I wasn't able to see him at all during that time.  I also found out later that his Dad was advised by the doctor that it was best if we didn't visit because our son likely wouldn't survive.  Of course, now that wouldn't be a factor.  Parents are encouraged to spend as much time as possible with the newborns no matter how ill they might be.
A lot has changed in the attitudes of medical personnel since those days and even though I am saddened by the advice we were given and the resulting long separation, I am still grateful that the care resulted in his survival.  He was the smallest preemie to have survived at his birth hospital.
He is now a strapping, well over 6 foot man and I am immensely proud of him.
It has been mild but somewhat dreary today and that makes it hard to get motivated.  I did send the information to Quilts for Sale to have 3 more of my quilts listed so they should be on site shortly.  Other than that, I took the dog for a walk, made a pot of stew, tidied the house and that was about it. Oh, and I took some photos.
Didn't even take advantage of any of the sales that drove a lot of people into a buying frenzy.
Blessings,

1 comment: