Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Welcome 2024

It is snowing.  Of course, it should be as we are well into winter.  This has, so far, been unusual winter, weather-wise as it has been much warmer than normal (even today it is plus 1c) so we have only had bare ground everywhere.  Those that know me well, know that I really enjoy winter with lots of snow and crisp sunny days.   They make me feel alive and I could use some of that right now as I battle through the aftermath of a respiratory virus.  It feels as though the whole world is coughing as this bug makes it nasty way amongst friends and family.

Did you watch the first professional women's hockey game.  I did and I was bursting with pride.  Another major step for women.  I can remember when I joined marches demanding that women get equal pay for equal work.  I was at the forefront of female transit and highway coach drivers and got my share of hassling-not from my male coworkers or their wives but from some older women passengers.  It did settle down eventually but I was often asked it I got paid the same as the men.  Of course I did but I also remember a time not to far back when not only wouldn't I have had a chance at the job let alone make the same wage.

I think it is important that we keep reminding younger women that everything they have had to be fought for-voting, driving, certain jobs, the right to not be sexually harrassed and so much more.

Welcome 2024 and welcome further progress in rights not only for women but for all those who are still fighting for a right to live, a right to clean water, a right to be treated with respect, a right to have a home, a right to live in peace and many, many more.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment