Thursday, December 10, 2020

Batting Woes

 I have taken a couple of photos of the stitching on my customer quilt but haven't loaded them onto the computer yet.  I will do that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I have a question about something that I have never seen addressed.  When you are doing the hand stitching on your binding, how far apart are the stitches?  Do you think 1/4 of an inch is too far?  I was wondering this as I have been doing this queen sized quilt border stitch by stitch.

Another thought:  I used unbleached cotton batting for this project.  I will never, ever use it again.  It is dreadful to work with.  The batting shreds, sticks to everything and pokes through with the stitches.  A friend said she had the same problem.  She also said that she had told me but, of course, I don't remember.  I had bought a good quality batt-Hobbs Tuscany so I would hate to see what a cheaper brand would be like.

It sounds as though we might get a nasty snow storm this weekend.  Hubby got our smaller generator working so if we have an outage, we will still have some lights and a radio.

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. When I am hand stitching the binding I try to get my stitches closer than 1/4", more like 1/8". Those stitches have always been a way of helping me keep and improve my applique stitches which I also try to keep 1/8" or less apart.

    Hobbs Tuscany 100% unbleached cotton does not needle punched nor does it have scrim and will migrate terribly and also requires the quilting lines to be a lot closer together to keep it from clumping after laundering.
    Hobbs Tuscany 100% bleached cotton is needle punched and it a little easier to work with when placed right side up for quilting, although I have still had some bearding showing up on dark colored fabrics when I have used it for hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete