Tuesday, August 15, 2017

End of the Day



This month challenge for the Island Batik Ambassador's was making a quilt-as-you-go (QAYG) quilt.  This is one of my favourite quilting so I happily stitched away and finished it well before deadline.  This is unusual for me lately as I am either just getting done in the nick of time or am late.
Here is the front and back of my quilt.  I will give you an abbreviated version of the method.

 
 

 Top of QAYG showing background strips and the appliqued birds which were added after the top was finished.
Back of quilt showing stitch lines.
 
I received a number of precut 5" X WOF strips in my Island Batik packaged and realized they would be perfect for this quilt.  I picked out 11 that I liked but any number would work equally well.  After deciding the order in which they would be used, I lay my backing fabric rights side down on my work table and then placed the batting on top.
The first strip was aligned with the top of the backing/batting sandwich and the second strip laid directly on top of it.  There really isn't a right and wrong side to Island Batik fabric but if you are using regular material, ensure right sides are together.  Pin thoroughly and stitch  through all layers at the fabric edge furthest from the top.
Smooth second strip over batting and press.  Add third strip by place over second and stitch as previously.  Keep adding rows and press until all the strips are used.
Square the top by trimming and bind.  If you are going to add applique or other embellishments due so before binding.  I pieced 2 1/4" wide sections of left over fabric together used it for binding.

                                                                          
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments: