Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Tears on our Flag

I am sure that most, if not all, of you have been following the dreadful news reports from our nation's capital.  It made me feel so sad for our country.  No matter how much we think we are prepared for such a thing, we aren't.  It is a stripping away of our innocent belief that we, because of our goodness, lack of gun focus, whatever, are somehow immune from the same woes that occur in other countries.  Sadly, it isn't so.
I know there has been and will continue to be discussions as to why people who have been raised in this country would turn against it.  Some say that it is because they have no hope of a future with a job.  I don't believe that.
Many young men and older have faced the same future.  During the depression, the jobless didn't turn to violence.  Why then now.  I do believe it is because young people are growing up without hope-not without hope of a job, but without hope of anything better.  No matter how dreadful your situation, if you have hope of something better, you endure.
When we began to make faith in something (and Someone)  greater than ourselves unpopular and, then, unbelievable, hope left.  Not for everyone, I agree but certainly to a large percentage of people.  This has resulted in suicides, increased violence and other forms of crime.  If you believe you will be held accountable for your actions, you think twice before doing something that would cause the retribution.  I keep my driving speed to what is required not because I think (in my foolish pride) that I can't handle the vehicle if I was going faster but because I don't want a ticket.
Believing that this life is not the end of our life keeps a person going no matter how difficult things get and I readily admit that, in this country we are blessed but that doesn't mean Canadians don't hurt, suffer and grieve.
You may disagree with me regarding this and that is okay.  In this wonderful country we call home, we have the right to disagree.  We don't have the right to force our opinions on someone else.
One last thought: as saddened as I am by today's events (and I am sure they won't be the last) I will not live in fear.  This is what these cowards who kill unarmed people want.  They won't get it from me.
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with what you have written, where is this world going to...So many people are not being held accountable and things are not going to improve if we don't make them responsible for their wrong doings. I feel so bad for the family of the young man who was just doing his job and he was so young as well.

    ReplyDelete