Friday, September 21, 2012

In Praise of Pets

I have, as regular readers know, a little, white west highland terrier/poodle cross (westiepoo).  She is a real delight and adds a lot of laughter and love to our days.  Those of you who have a special animal (or bird, fish etc) will understand when I say she is very much a part of our family.  Of course, we think she is the smartest, cutest little dog every born.
For the first couple of years after we got her, we wondered how we would ever manage such a lively, energetic dog.  However, like us, as she has got older, she has become calmer.  She is still yappy, likes to chase chipmunks, warns us of real or imagined dangers and prefers my husbands lap to any other place in the world.
When I am quilting, she likes to sit on my sewing machine table and look out the window.  The fact that she is in the road doesn't seem to matter to either of us although I do have to push her a bit when she gets too close to the machine.
Cats tend to be more associated with quilters and I love hearing my quilting friends tell of how their felines will get caught up in the fabric, and give every project the coziness test.  I miss that.  We did have a wonderful white male who added his personal approval (and a ton of cat hair) to every quilt I made.  We haven't been able to have a cat here because of my husband's allergies but I do miss their specialness.  Fortunately, I am able to get my 'cat fix' when I go visiting my various friends.
I am going out to do some gardening shortly as we are getting a break in the rain showers.  Heidi will help me chose the best spot for some spring bulbs and make sure I take a break now and then to pat her.
Enjoy your weekend.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment