Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Memory Quilt

 Our yearly bug onslaught has started.  The black flies arrive when the trilliums bloom and then after a week or so, they start biting.  We got some gardening done this morning but we were covered from head to foot and even then we had to make frequent retreats to the house.  I got up earlier than usual this morning so took Heidi for a walk after breakfast.  I thought we would be okay in the morning and we were until we got to the bottom of the driveway.  I guess we will stick to the bush for a while.

I have been working on a customer's memory quilt.  I am making it differently than normal.  First of all, the T shirts are small.  So I just cut each one as big as possible.  Then I cut 10.5 X 12.5 squares from an old sheet.  T shirt fabric was centered onto the sheet and pinned.  I measured the distance from edge of T shirt to outside edge of sheet on all four sides.  I cut strips from a baby blanket that was included by the customers.  The strips were sewn on T shirt block, pressed open and then I stitched around the outer edge of the finished block. 

This method is cheaper than using the special backing paper and doesn't have the stiffness.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment