Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Depression

Our mind often produces odd results; or mine does anyway.  I've frequently noticed how one thought can lead to something  that has no bearing to the original.  My on line group Hearts to Hands, were recently discussing the flying geese block and the various ways to make it. Not one of my favourite blocks by any means but I have made the decision to use them in at least one quilt. 
I was thinking about that last night while playing a computer game when my mind took off at another angle.  I exited the game, clicking on Microsoft Word and, a few moments later,  had written my next magazine submission to the Quilt Pattern Magazine.  I even know what photo I will use.
I have been writing for this magazine for a while now-2 or 3 years, so sometimes have to struggle for something new to share.  It is a real treat when topic and words come together in a rush.
Some artists (writers, painters etc.) say they wait for inspiration before creating.  Personally, if I waited for inspiration, I would rarely accomplish anything.  I think it was Stephen Leacock who said success was 10 % inspiration and 90% perspiration.  Not sure if I have quoted it correctly but you get the gist.  It is wonderful when the ten present happens but it is rare.
I think the situation is the same for those us that quilt; especially if we do it professionally.  There are times when a new pattern or quilting idea just pops into our head but, most often, we struggle, sweat, try one thing or another until something works.

I was saddened to hear today of Robin Williams death.  I don't know if more people are suffering from depression or if those who are are more vocal but it is a dreadful illness.  It is present in most families including mine.  My faith in God is what keeps me going on the difficult days.  It must be extremely difficult if a person has no hope.
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I was so surprised hearing of Robin"s passing, how sad that he felt there was no other way. Depression affects so many people and yet it's still in most cases not openly discussed, I hope his death will start the dialogue needed to bring this problem out in the open, enabling people to talk of their own struggles or of someone they know and people suffering won't feel so isolated.

    ReplyDelete