Friday, March 8, 2013

My Pattern is Finished

Tulips on Point.
I just finished uploading my pattern to Craftsy.com. Every time, I start working on one of my designs, I wonder why I subject myself to the toil.  It is a lot of work.  However, once it is finished, there is a feeling of satisfaction and the hope that it will bring joy to the home of a quilter.

Today is International Women's Day.  It is a recognition that I take seriously.  I remember when women were supposed to quit school at eighteen, get married and stay in the home.  I remember when women were refused certain jobs because they belonged to men.  I remember when women got paid less than their male co-workers even if they were doing the same job.  I remember when a woman who was being abused was supposed to keep quiet about it.  I remember when there were no shelters for abused women and their children.  I remember when rape victims were treated as the guilty ones.  I remember many other things that have, in this country, changed.  They changed because of the efforts of women and the men who supported them. My husband has walked with me when I took part in protest marches.
However, there are millions in other countries who still don't have the rights and freedoms we enjoy.
Celebrate the day but don't think the war has been won.  I am thankful for those who devote time and money to help women in other countries.  It can be a dangerous decision for there are many who believe that a woman  is only a possession and will injure or kill those who think differently.
Mothers don't forget to talk to your daughters-and sons about the reason for this day. They will make a difference in the lives of others.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment