Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Quilts and Feathers

I hope you had a good weekend.  Our hot weather returned and I found it uncomfortable but I am sure many others enjoyed it.
We went to the Emsdale fall fair on Saturday.  This is a small community about 15 minutes south of us and I am sure everyone from that village as well as a good percentage of ours was there.  It is good to see that these events are still popular.  My two quilts each won third prize.  There was stiff competition with very accomplished quilters entering so I was pleased to get any ribbon. 
We like looking at the entries from the children and the imagination and talent shown by this age group is wonderful to see.  Outside, we watched the horse pull, log sawing and the little ones on the pony rides. 
My husband was particularly interested in the chicken entries so we spent some time wandering around the cages listening to the roosters showing off.    It is amazing how many varieties of chickens there are.  Some look like wonderful hats-actually most of them do, others have feathers around their feet that remind you of mukluks.
I've said this before (and probably will again before the season is over) but if you do have a chance to take in a country fair, do so.  Take time to look at the livestock and agriculture entries to see your
 food in its original form.  If you have children, it is even more important to do this. 
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment