Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Yard Work Etc

Now that Spring is here, we are starting to get ready for next winter.  Today, I  raked last years detritus from the vegetable gardens and the lawn.  The compost still hasn't completely thawed yet so I can't spread that around but the ground is all ready for it.
My husband has started splitting and piling wood so, when I had finished my work, I have him a hand.  We got a good sized pile stacked before it was time for lunch and the rain started.
Since then, I have been in my quilt room weeding out some of the smaller bits of fabric to cut into strips and adding in my birthday fabric.  I have also gone through the partially finished quilts and labelled them so I know what needs to be done to finish them.  A number of them have been used as practice pieces as I was learning how to use my machine and frame.  Not sure what I will do with them.  The tops are nice but the quilting is rough to say the least.  A couple I will give to the younger members of the family to use as play mats.
We are getting quite a rain storm right now.  I don't think there is going to be a hydro outage but, if it happens, I have a large tote that is full of odd bits of fabric just waiting to be cut up.  I am not sure what I am going to do with all the strips.  How many scrap quilts can one person make or use?
I wish I had been able to get a few bulbs in the garden to take advantage of the rain but I believe it is a bit early yet.  The timing is a bit tricky in this area: you try to get things done before black fly season but also after frost.  I think I will get the garlic bulbs and potatoes in this week though.  Any frost shouldn't bother them.  I can always cover them with all this extra fabric!!!!
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment