Thursday, December 9, 2010

S. S. Day

One of the on-line groups to which I belong has a Secret Santa event each year.  Participants get the name, address and a list of information about the person to whom they send a gift.  When everyone has received their parcel, we are given the go ahead to open.  Those who receive their parcel the earliest get a little antsy by the time the last one arrives.  Today, we were given the go ahead to open our gifts.
I had placed mine under my sewing table and did my best to not think about it.  There were a couple of times when I almost peeked but I managed to hold off.
This morning, I woke up and lay in bed for a while listening to my husband make his coffee.  Suddenly, I remembered, 'this is Thursday'.  I popped out of bed and got my parcel and opened it before I had breakfast.  My S.S. sent me some lovely gifts but I think the nicest of all is knowing that she was thinking of me and what I might like as she went about her shopping.  And that, my friends, is how Christmas should be celebrated-thinking of others.
Christmas, especially, is a time of doing for others-gifts, time, charitable donations. I sometimes feel discouraged when I look at my income in comparison to the things I would like to give or do but cost can never outdo thoughfulness.
As you go about your Christmas preperations, take a moment to give someone the gift of your smile.  It will make a difference to the other person (especially if it is a store clerk or a mother in a check out line with a number of small children) and your day will feel brighter.

To those who recently have become followers of this blog, welcome.  Be sure to check the back posts for mystery quilts and other patterns.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment