Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Beautiful Morning

Welcome to our newest member who is a proud mother, grandmother and great grandmother.  Be sure to look over the previous posts for free patterns, contest etc.
Those who have been members of this blog through the last winter season will know that I tend to get burbly around this time of year.  I love the winter.  I enjoy the cold, the snow and the gorgeous scenery.  This morning was typical with the sun turning the snow laden trees into a glistening beauty that no artist can reproduce.  I am so thankful that I have a big window in my quilt room and, while I am sewing, I can look out onto all this wonder.
I have a small quilting tip for you today:  If you make your half square triangles by sewing two blocks together and then cutting in half you may find this useful.  I always cut my blocks slightly larger than necessary and then trim the finished block to square.  If you don't do this properly, you could end up with a problem.  For explanation purposes, I will give each corner a letter-a,b,c.d.  If you trim a/b side, turn and trim b/c.  By doing this, your b corner will maintain a 90 angle and the two sections of the point will meet at the corner.  However, if your first trim did not remove any fabric from a corner, you don't need the second trim.
Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm a little slow today. Huh?
    I don't get the trimming two sides makes it ok part. I have to use my square ruler with the 45 deg. line on it. Then I do all four sides. Maybe it's just because mine come out sooooo wonky?

    ReplyDelete