Friday, January 29, 2010

Coffee's On

Last night, I finished the last demo quilt for my book.  I named this one , Coffee's On, and it is similiar to one I made for a friend a few years ago.  Karla and I did an across Alberta shop hop one weekend ending up at her parent's home.  Like many good friends, although we had much in common, we also differed especially in our fabric choices.  I had a tendancy to buy  autumn shades-brown, gold, green,  etc.  I didn't like geometric patterns.  Karla, on the other hand, loved purples, black, pink-anything bright and (in my opinion) loud.  We decided that we would buy at least one fat quarter  that we didn't like in each quilt shop. When we returned home, we cut our fabric in half and swopped.  I made the wall hanging with my fabrics as a going away present when she moved to B.C.
Since that trip, I have expanded my fabric choices.  I now have  many purple toned fabric in my stash and they have become one of my favourite colours.  The same is true of black.  Still don't like geometrics.
It is always good to expand our horizons and try something new even if it is only a colour choice.  Next time you are in a fabric shop, buy a small amount of something you would ordinarily pass over.  Use it in a project.  You may be pleasantly surprised at the difference it makes.
Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment