Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Paper Piecing

We had some bad weather yesterday afternoon.  The snow combined with wind created almost a complete white out condition here in the woods.  I was glancing out the window as I sewed expecting to see one of the trees come down or the toboggan go swirling past but everything stayed put.  I did see something memorable, however.  Walking out of the storm toward the house and then strolling past was a buck.  It looked just like something from a painting 'Stag in Storm'.  My husband is working on a picture this morning and I think that may be what he is doing.
I have been putting blocks together for a quilt for my sister-in-law.  They are all different paperpieced birds-jays, cardinal, wren, robin etc.  I enjoy seeing each completed block but, oh my, those tiny pieces of fabric.  One of the enjoyable aspects of quilting is that there is always something new to learn and each bit of knowledge opens the door to more projects.  This is especially appealing to me as I get bored continually doing the same thing.  Learning to paperpiece has enabled me to do patterns not possible with rotary cut squares, strips and triangles.
In a few days, we will be in a new decade.  If you haven't tried anything new recently, I urge you to take on the challenge.  The quality of your success isn't as important as the quality of your attempt. Think about something you have always wanted to do but haven't dared to try.  Give yourself a start date, mark it on your calendar, book lessons, if needed and get going. Share your plan with others so they can encourage you. Let me know what and how you are doing.  I would really like to know.
Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment